Saturday, December 4, 2010

Giving credit where credit is due

Salve! Spartacurtus sum!

Recently, I have received a few requests to start citing my sources more carefully in regards to this blog. I admit that I have freely reposted others' work on this blog. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I have intended to only imitate, and I have never attempted to pass of others' work as my own. I now realize that I haven't given proper credit to the original authors of the materials that I have passed along to the readers of this blog. I feel that the reason I hadn't cited my sources on this blog, is that I hadn't felt that this blog qualifies as a serious academic journal, where anyone would mind that I was freely copying and pasting from others' blogs. In fact, I had hoped that original authors would be pleased to see their material reproduced around the internet, and being read by more and more who are interested in their pursuits. I have never intentionally omitted an authors name from their postings, if was available in the original post. However, I admit that I have been rather lax in disclosing the original forum from which the posting originated.

Therefore, as of this post, I hereby pledge to you, dear readers, that I shall turn over a new leaf, and stop being such a rogue classicist. I promise to cite outside sources much more carefully, and give proper credit where credit is due. I hope that I have not offended this blog's readers by previously omitting the source of the information that I am passing on, and I hope that you will continue to read the posts on this blog. I do not wish to tarnish the good name of this blog, the Classical Cohors, or the university with the stain of plagiarism.

To all the other blog posters out there whose postings I have passed along, I thank you for doing what you do so well. I am obviously an avid reader of your posts, and really enjoy reading what you write. If I have reposted your writings, it was out of respect and deference to the author. I hope that I may still pass along your writings, and I hope that you will notify me in the comments about any wayward postings that you feel do not give proper credit where credit is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment